Saturday, December 29, 2012

Dreams and Such

I have recently decided that there should be rules about dreaming, which also made me ponder dreams and the whole point of them.

As many of us are aware of, because of SCIENCE, dreaming is the brain's way to safely put us in different situations without harmful consequences (well okay, there can be harmful consequences but I'll get to that in a minute). Now, when you think of this certain possibilities come to mind, like jumping off a building, going around town naked, swimming endlessly without oxygen (one I've had a lot), etc. etc. But dreaming also enables the brain to put us into situations that could be more emotionally scaring then physically, a line that is exceptionally thin because dreams can be emotionally scaring depending on the subject matter. You might experience a dream with a lover you have not considered, a devestating fight with someone you care about, witnessing the death of a loved one, or maybe it's simply replaying a tramatic experience.

Technically the brain is testing out these ideas, it's sort of going "How would we handle XYZ if it happened?". The problem here, is that the brain can be bad at figuring out that a certain topic might be emotionally scaring just from dreaming about it. And here in lies the problem, and a story (though very brief).

Almost a year ago I dreamt of finding my best friend dead on my driveway, covered in blood. I'll assume that my brain was pondering "What if we lost the person most important to us? How would we cope?". Needless to say, it was very tramatic for me. I believe I woke up screaming.

The image of that dream continues to replay in my mind almost a year later, the thought repeating over and over again.

Sometimes dreams can be a bit of a warning, but only if you're aware of the possibility that what happened in your dream might actually happen. Now, said friend lives in Europe so it isn't likely to happen,  but I suppose the possibility of his death is there *knocks on wood, doesn't want to put it out there*

Just last night I had another one of those line-crossing dreams, and as someone who is tortured by her own brain quite often, I'd like it if sleeping were safe. Now, on to the rules.

It would be nice, in my opinion, if we could make rules for our brain for dreaming. Like, you cannot bring up the following topics. Do not even make this a possibility in my head. Stuff like that. But discussing something with one's subconcious is kind of difficult, a non-accessible part of our brain.

So.....Thoughts? Anything you'd like to say to your brain NOT ALLOWED?

No comments:

Post a Comment